Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's that time of the month again....

to make granola. For the last year or so, I've been making granola instead of buying cereal. I just love going to the grocery store and not having to fill my cart with all those things that other people have to get every week. I am still trying to figure out how to not have to the grocery store at all, but unless we start our own farm and have a cow, some chickens etc...there will still be things we need almost weekly. And then there would be the small problem of toilet paper, but then again, there would be substitutions for that as well. Not that I want to go there though! But, back to the subject of granola....it is a wonderful way to save a little money, have a healthy breakfast and not have to eat three bowls of cereal in the morning to fill you up. It is especially cheap if you have a bulk store close by where you can get all the ingredients in bulk. That is one thing I definately miss about good 'ole Iowa and Stringtown Grocery!


Here is the recipe:
12 cups regular or quick oats    
2 cups wheat germ
2 cups wheat bran                    
2 cups powdered milk
Optional add-ins: coconut, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds
     Mix all these ingredients together in a large roaster pan or whatever pan you have that is big enough. You can also use a couple cookies sheets or jelly roll pans but if you are going to stir those tend to make a mess.
     Boil together:
2 cups brown sugar                  
2 cups oil
1/2 cup water (September 2012 edit-so sorry I forgot this little detail! Hope there weren't too many burnt messes to clean up)
     When boiling, add 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of vanilla flavor or maple flavor for something different. The baking soda will make it foam up so hold pan over roaster pan of dry ingradients so you don't have a mess to clean up!
     Mix liquid into dry ingredients and put in a oven at a really low temp. Somewhere around 150 F should work If it scorches on the bottom it is too hot or you may need to stir more often. Bake for about 4-5 hours, or until it seems dry. Heat 1/2 cup honey and pour over granola when still warm. Add raisins if you want. Stir and enjoy!
     Speaking of which, I am going to go and enjoy a bowl right now....so long for now!

5 comments:

  1. yeah! I should make that again. I think I made that exact recipe nearly every week up in HQ kitchen...and it always got rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started making my own granola and I love it. We have an Amish bulk food store not far from here where I just bought oatmeal for .40 cents a pound!

    Other than that I have not learned to be thrifty in my grocery shopping. :D So I hope you will share more tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, Cor, I think that is where the recipe comes from! Laura, there are days I wonder how thrifty I am...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so do u make ur own laundry soap or are u eliminating that all together? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually, Sonya, I do! (make my own soap, that is) :) Are you suggesting that I totally eliminate it?

    ReplyDelete