Wednesday, March 2, 2011

a plant and a sewing machine

I know, the title is a little weird, but it is basically the essence of what this post is about....two of my accomplishments for this week. It all started with a huge purple african violet, received from my cousin about 8 years ago. It has been transplanted before but it was way past time to do it again. So instead of one huge plant that wasn't blooming, I now have 8 small plants that hopefully (fingers crossed!) will bloom someday. And if anybody wants an african violet, let me know. Just don't expect me to mail it!



The other thing I did this week was to make pajamas for J. Because of his chubby legs, it is really hard to find pjs that fit. Did you know that there was actually a law passed in 1971 reguarding flame retardant sleepwear? And then was revised in 1997 to allow "snug-fitting" sleepwear instead? Read here for the whole story...http://www.achildgrows.com/2009/02/09/fire-resistant-pajamas-and-sleepwea/ After reading up on it, my dilemma with what kind of fabric to use was solved and I got to work. Here is my favorite model with his new pjs that he wore last night. He seems to like them-he broke them in by pulling on the feet (which are a little long) and chewing on them. I also made a pair of pj pants from some leftover material that mom used about 15 years ago to make pjs for my brothers. As soon as I get a little shirt made to match I will post that one too. Oh, and the cost was about $2 for the half a yard of material that I bought from the clearance corner at Joanns. The pattern was given to me by my MIL and the bright purple zipper was contributed by my mom.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute, Janine! I'm impressed! PJs are kinda hard to make, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete