Monday, January 30, 2012

Floured Pillows, pillow flowers






Yes, I know there was a spelling error in the title. That was just to get your attention.

Old sweaters recycled into pillows
I know, this is nothing new...people have been doing this since the beginning of time (aka the DIY, go green, recycling era) but I just thought I would post my own version of the recycled pillow. I made these in December-but didn't do them as a pillowcase, just simply sewed the little hole closed after the pillow form was inside. So, in order to wash them I guess I will have to either throw the whole pillow in the washer or take them apart. I was in too much of a hurry when I was making them  I guess.

Grinding your own flour
This is something I have absolutely no experience with...but I was hoping someone out there would! I've always kind of scoffed people who bought wheat berries (is that the correct term?) and ground it themselves-it just seemed a little over-the-top for me. I mean, you can buy whole wheat flour at the store, right? So why go to the bother. But, maybe, just maybe, I am missing out on something. I grind coffee beans, and my coffee definately tastes better so maybe the same philosophy is true with wheat berries? And I have always wanted to make a GOOD 100% whole wheat bread, but so far the recipe has illuded me. Now I think I have found it (the recipe that is)-but I think I may also have to try making my own whole wheat flour if this bread actually works. Any tips, suggestions, ideas or recipes you care to share?


6 comments:

  1. Yes, same thing with flour as with coffee. Exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I can't use my coffee grinder for wheat, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^ I was just wondering the same thing. Travis's mom can make 100% whole wheat bread that is just marvelous. You should post your recipe. I am still looking for the "perfect" recipe too.

    I like your sweater pillows. My current sweater projects are a dress for the baby and a diaper bag.

    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt it, Janine. I think it would take some doin'. The Whisper Mill works great. You can order them online. JoEllen Weaver is a dealer, I think. She used to be anyway. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pillows! How do you find the time? And HOW did you make that charming little giraffe canvas? So cute! Keep up the DIY'ing, if I never get around to it, it's at least nice to look at other people's projects.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! Honestly for the canvas it is simply cloth wrapped tight around the picture frame and yarn glued on it to make a giraffe! Doesn't get any easier than that! :)

      Delete